The present service was purchased by Emperor Napoléon as a gift to the former Bishop of Rennes, M. François, on the occasion of the marriage of his niece and adopted daughter, Stéphanie de Beauharnais (1789-1860). As Princesse Française, Stéphanie enjoyed the luxuries associated with membership of the Imperial family, taking residence in the Palais de Tuileries. Her marriage on 8 April 1806 to Karl Ludwig Friedrich, prince of Baden, was political, arranged by Napoléon to forge an alliance with the Grand Dukes of Baden.
Although Napoleon purchased the service for the former Bishop in 1806, it was entered into the Sèvres magasin de vente the previous year (Vu1.fol.8 v.). See C. Leprince, Napoléon 1er & Sèvres, L'Art de la porcelaine au service de l'Empire, Paris, 2016, p. 259, no. 65 for more information on the original order, including a full listing of the service's components.