The present plate is from a set of twenty-four painted by Le Bel after Thienon with the most important landscape vues of Vendée and the château de Clisson "représentant les sites les plus remarquables du Bocage de la Vendée et du château de Clisson, les paysages peints par Le Bel d'après l'ouvrage de Thienon"). The plates accompanied a déjeuner, both of which were exhibited in the annual exhibition of Sèvres porcelain held at the Louvre in January 1819. The plates and service entered the sale room 17 December 1818 (Registre Vv 1, folio 115, no 21) and was offered to the duc d'Angoulême in December 1818 (Registre Vbb 5, folio 18).
Clisson Castle was initially constructed in the 13th century by William of Clisson. After several modifications, the castle and the citadel were ravaged during the Vendien war. Frederic Lemot, architect influenced by the Italian Neoclassical style, saved it from ruin in 1807 and rebuilt in Pre-Romantic spirit. During the 19th century, it became a reference point for the French Romantic movement.