The Kalo Shop was prominent in the early days of the Chicago Arts and Crafts movement. The shop was found in 1900 by Clara P. Barck, an active proponent of women's participation in the arts. She and her husband, George S. Welles, established the Kalo Art-Craft Community in their home to serve as a school and workshop for craftsmen of both sexes, as well as a shop in Chicago to retail the products made at the workshop. Kalo objects are characterized by hand-hammering and simplicity of ornament. The Kalo Shop remained in business until 1965, producing hand-wrought silver and copper holloware, flatware and jewelry.