A similar teapot and covered sugar bowl are pictured in Eighteenth and Nineteenth Century Maryland Silver, 1975, pp. 126-127, cat. entries 149-150. The Baltimore Museum of Art's teapot and sugar bowl do not have the Baltimore assay marks and presumably were made before 1814 when the hallmarking system was adopted in Maryland. George W. Riggs (1777-1864) worked circa 1805-1810 in Georgetown, D.C. before moving to Baltimore.