The collection of Baron Max von Goldschmidt-Rothschild (1843-1940) was formed in Frankfurt where the Baron was born and where he spent his life. In 1878, he married Baroness Minna von Rothschild, the daughter of Baron Wilhelm Carl and Hannah Mathilde von Rothschild and great-grandaughter of the founder of the Rothschild dynasty, Mayer Amschel. Having spent his youth in Paris, the Baron began collecting at an early age, soon making this his primary activity. At that time, Frankfurt was one of the leading art centers on the continent, enabling him to purchase from both local sources as well as when on one of his frequent tours through Europe.
Shortly before the Baron's death in 1940, he was compelled by the Nazi administration to sell his collection to the town of Frankfurt. As a result, upon his death, the collection was handed over to various museums in that city. Following the war, his heirs successfully had this sale invalidated and insured that the restituted collection, including the present commodes, was shipped directly to America where it was sold in a two-part auction by Parke-Bernet Galleries in New York on 10-11 May 1950 and then on 13-14 April 1950.