The Franklin Intitute awarded this ewer a special commendation in 1843 at their annual Exhibition for the Promotion of Mechanicals Arts. The Report of the Committee on Exhibitions stated that:
The number of articles of Silver Ware exhibited this year was considerable, and their finish admirable. The exhibition of Jewelry, on the contrary, was smaller. The judges recommend the following awards, which are made accordingly:
The judges refer particularly to a pitcher of chased work, No. 608, by Bard & Lamont, commending the mechanical execution, while they disapprove of the design. They are of the opinion, that, in general, in this branch, purity of design, and perfection of form, are not sufficiently studied. Without these, exquisite polish, and beautiful chasing serve but to cover defects which they cannot hide. (The Franklin Institute, Report of the Committee on Exhibitions, 1843, Chapter XVIII, p.441)
The ewer possibly commemorates the first steam locomotives in Philadelphia. A woodcut illustration with an identical Baldwin locomotive is shown in the 1839 Philadelphia City Directory. The background shows the Mansion House Hotel which was converted into a depot around 1842.