Max Rieg (1899-1985) was born in Germany and was trained as a metalworker. As a journeyman in Weimar, he attended classes at the Bauhaus. After immigrating to the United States in 1928, he worked briefly for Towle. In 1930, Rieg moved to New York City and began working in pewter. He formed a partnership with the metalworker, F.S. Kelm and designed pewter in the Jensen style under the name Kel-Rieg MetalCraft.
After commissioning several pewter reproductions from Rieg, Colonial Williamsburg hired him to produce a line of reproductions. Rieg worked in Williamsburg from 1937 to 1950, selling pewter and silver reproductions and orginial, modern designs. (See, David L. Barquist, American & English Pewter at the Yale University Art Gallery: A Supplementary Checklist, 1985, p.p. 48-49)