The engraved inscription on the front of the pitcher reads: "PRESENTED TO Profr. John E. Lincoln L.L.D. BY MEMBERS OF THE FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH & SOCIETY in acknowledgement of his eminent Services as Superintendent of the Sunday School for the long period of TWENTY ONE YEARS, PROVIDENCE. OCT.1,1876."
The inscription on the reverse reads: "He that goeth forth bearing precious seed shall doubtless come again bringing his sheaves with him"