This Roman stool pattern, with imbricated and shell-decked trusses terminating in bacchic lion-paw feet, derives from one which formed part of the furnishings supplied by Henry William in 1737, under the direction of the artist architect William Kent, to George II for Hampton Court Palace (R. Edwards and P. Macquoid, The Dictionary of English Furniture, rev. ed., 1954, vol. III, p. 176, fig. 44 and R. Edwards & M. Jourdain, Georgian Cabinet-Makers c. 1700-1830, London, 1955, p. 232, fig. 217).