Peter Derr (1793-1868) was active in Berks County, Pennsylvania as a braizer, coppersmith and founder. His father, Johannes Derr was a pewterer, and was known to have collaborated frequently with Johann Christoph Heyne. Derr's first known masterpiece, the Staff of David gallows lamp, was completed in 1818 at the age of twenty-five. For many years he was involved with the founding firm of Haag, Kline & Company in Bernville, Pennsylvania. Derr is most recognized for his hand wrought fat lamps (see lot 617). Among the last items he is known to have made are the pewter-top canteens, knives and needles for the Berks County Regiment during the Civil War. The lots that follow (616-621) are all related to Peter Derr and where noted are illustrated in James Spear's renowned volume regarding the prestigous family, House of Derr (Meyerstown, Pennsylvania: the Church Center Press), 1949.
PETER DERR (1793-1868), TULPENHOCKEN TOWNSHIP, BERKS COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA, CIRCA 1850