Located at Huangpuzhen, Tongchuanxian, Shaanxi province, the Yaozhou kilns began production of a wide range of wares during the Tang dynasty. The kilns were well placed to use water transportation to the Northern Song capital at Kaifeng, and it is recorded that Yaozhou wares were presented as tribute to the Northern Song court. Both the official Song history and other literary sources mention such tribute gifts. For instance, the official gazetteer during the Yuanfeng era (1078-1085), Yuanfeng jiuyu zhi, mentions fifty sets of tribute ceramics sent to the court from Yaozhou.
A Yaozhou celadon dish carved with a similar wave design is illustrated by R. Krahl in Chinese Ceramics from the Meiyintang Collection, vol. 1, London, 1994, p. 233, no. 420, and another similar dish is illustrated in The Masterpieces of Yaozhou Ware, Tokyo, 1997, p. 36, no. 41.