Johannes Klinckerfuss was one of the most important German cabinet makers of the early 19th century. After his apprenticeship he started in 1789 in the workshop of David Roentgen in Neuwied. He soon became famous for his craftsmanship and creative flair, and was recommended by Roentgen to the Bayreuther Hof of Herzog Friedrich Eugen von Württemberg, where he was in charge of the furnishing of Schloss Fantaisie. In 1795 Klinckerfuss worked in the Herzogliche Kabinettschreinerei for the Stuttgarter Hof, where he became cabinet-ebenist for Duke Frederick II of Württemberg, later the first King of Württemberg. In 1812 Klinckerfuss opened his own workshop in Stuttgart. He made numerous important pieces in the Empire style. Many of these still remain in the castles Weil near Esslingen, Ludwigsburg and Rosenstein.
For a comparable design of a writing table by Johannes Klinckerfuss see W. Wiese, Johannes Klinckerfuss, Sigmaringen, 1988, pl. M3.