The staffordshire potter Enoch Wood (1759-1840) who after his apprenticeship at Wedgwood, established Enoch Wood and Company, was one of first collectors of early English pottery. In 1835 he gave 182 pieces from his collection to the King of Saxony in Dresden. These pieces were listed by the first Director of the Staatliche Porzellan-sammlung, Dr. Gustav Klemm, in the 1835 accession book for the collection. No. 163 on the list is a teapot of the same form, described as a 'Teapot stump of Tree' and is illustrated by Ross. E. Taggart, The Burnap Collection of English Pottery (Kansas, 1967), p. 135, No. 163.
For a similarly modelled teapot applied with a portrait medallion of the King of Prussia, see the example in the Collection of the Rev. C. J. Sharp, sold by Sotheby's on 1 March 1955, lot 37.