Built for J. Pierpont Morgan in 1890, the Corsair served as flagship during his reign as Commodore of the New York Yacht Club. In April 1898, Morgan sold her to the U.S. Navy for $225,000. The Navy converted her to a dispatch vessel and patrol gunboat, and named her U.S.S. Gloucester. She was sold out of the Navy in 1919 and into commercial service. The Corsair was destroyed in a hurricane at Pensacola, Florida.