The restrained use of ornamental mounts and the sobriety of the form relates to the later production of the Swedish cabinet-maker Gottlieb Iwersson (1750-1813), one of the most important cabinet-makers of the late Gustavian period, along with Georg Haupt.
Received master in Stockholm in 1778, Iwersson established his workshop the following year, soon supplying the royal households of Gustaf III and Gustaf IV and members of the Court with finely-executed marquetry pieces in the French neo-classical style, as well as with articles of joinery and interior panellings. His most important commissions were delivered for King Gustaf III's Royal Palace in Stockholm, Princess Sophia' Albertina Palace and the Royal Chinese pavilion at Drottningholm.
Iwersson's later production in a plainer style reflects a more distinct English influence, with a strong preference for mahogany. This piece is comparable to the lower section of a mahogany secretaire by Iwersson illustrated in Tornsten Sylvn, Mstarnas Mbler, Stockholm, 1996, p. 196.