Ren Fremin (1672-1744) was a pupil of Franois Girardon and Antoine Coysevox and in 1694 won the Academy First Prize in sculpture, which lead to a period of study and work in Rome. During his prolific career he was made Director of the Academy and worked in Paris as well as in Spain for Philip V.
Fremin's original marble Companion of Diana, now in the Louvre in Paris, was commissioned in 1710 for Marly, along with nine statues of the Nymphs of Diana. The marble is signed and dated 1717. The popularity of the group is evident in the many copies made, both during the 18th century and later. The present group is a later 18th century version, and is signed 'FREMIN 1772' indicating the source of the model as well as the date of its manufacture.