In the province of Friesland the assay-master general appointed a local assay-master as soon as there were at least two or three silversmiths working in a place. In other cases silversmiths had to have there silver assayed in the nearest place possible. This explains why no local marks exist for a number of Frisian towns, whereas villages like Heerenveen and Kollum did have them (Voet, E., 1974, op. cit., pp. xviii-xxi, 123, 131). As until the identification of the town mark on the present brandy bowl no silver assayed in the Frisian village of Joure was known. More than that, nothing about an assay-practice in the village was known.
Since at least two or three silversmiths were required before a local assay-master was appointed, in 1636, the year in which the brandy-bowl was made, at least two silversmiths must have been working in Joure. Elias Voet mentions two silversmiths who were working there during the second quarter of the 17th Century. They are Jarich Jarichs (Voet 778; mentioned in 1616 and 1631) and Hendrik Jansen (Voet 779; mentioned in 1642). In a yet unpublished study on Joure silversmiths Mr Peter Schoen will reveal three more names.
Unfortunately the maker's mark, a device mark, could not be identified yet. The same maker's mark is found on a communion beaker in the church of Lekkum and Miedum, which according to an inscription dates 1646 (see: Voet, E., 1932, op. cit., p. 232; and catalogue of the exhibition: Catalogus der Tentoonstellingvan Antieke Goud- en Zilverwerken, Leeuwarden, Fries Museum, 1927, p. 30, no. 134).
For comparative literature:
Voet, E., Merken van Friesche goud- en zilversmeden, Den Haag, 1932.
Voet, E., Merken van Friese goud- en zilversmeden, Den Haag, 1974.