The sideboard, with triumphal arched cistern recess, chamfered and rose-flowered pilasters and linenfold panels is designed in the florid Louis Douze style promoted by A.W.N. Pugin's Gothic Furniture of the style of the 15th Century, 1835, while the pattern for its looped handles featured in his Designs for Iron and Brass Work In The Style of the XV and XVI centuries, 1836. Pugin executed a related design for a 'Refreshment Room' sideboard at the New Palace of Westminster, whose furniture was executed in the 1840s by firms such as Gillow of Oxford Street and Messrs. Holland and Son and fitted with metalwork by John Hardman and Co. of Birmingham (P.Thornton Furniture in the House of Lords, London, 1974, p.IX). The style was also popularised by the furniture manufacturer J.G. Crace (d.1889) at the 1851 Great Exhibition's 'Medieval Court'.
A similar sideboard is illustrated in a drawing included in a Christie's sale of Architectural Decorative Drawings on 13 December 1988, lot 91.