The presentation inscription reads: "The Albert Cup PRESENTED BY THE ROYAL ALBERT YACHT CLUB 20TH AUGUST 1868 WON BY THE MENAI WALTER F. STUTFIELD. OWNER"
Beginning in 1839, an annual Regatta took place off Southsea, Portsmouth, and in 1864 the Albert Yacht Club was formed and took over the race. In mid-1865, Queen Victoria gave permission to change the name of the club to the Royal Albert Yacht Club. In 1868, when this trophy was presented, the Commodore was H.R.H. Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh.