The golden walnut mirror, conceived in the French manner with reed-wrapped columns capped by scared-urns and wreathed by Venus's roses, may have formed part of the furnishings commissioned by Queen Victoria from Messrs. Holland & Sons for Buckingham Palace at the time of Emperor Napoleon III's visit in 1855. With its oval glass and richly-moulded plinth it corresponds in form with the Minton glass presented by the Queen to Prince Albert in 1853 (M. Turner, Osborne House, 1995, p. 15). It bears Holland's 'V.R.B.P' inventory brand of the 1860s for 'Victoria Regina, Buckingham Palace'. Queen Victoria moved it to Osborne House, Isle of Wight, where it is almost certainly the mirror listed in 'Her Majesty's Dressing Room' in an inventory of 1899. It is labelled as having been removed from Osborne in 1903, when King Edward VII presented the estate to the Nation. It then returned to Buckingham Palace and bears the inventory label of King George V (listed Room 138), before being moved to Marlborough House. It bears the 1959 brand of Christie, Manson and Woods, and was among the 'residue of the furniture, the property of Her Late Majesty Queen Mary' sold on 1st October 1959 (additional lot 18A).