The building depicted on this box is the second Merchant's Exchange of New York City. The second Merchant's Exchange was built in lower Manhattan in 1841 to replace the original structure destroyed by fire in 1835. The paper used for this box probably began production circa 1842. See Carlisle, Hat Boxes and Band Boxes at Shelburne Museum (Shelburne, VT, 1960), p. 173, Panel No. 44.