Carmania was built by John Brown & Co., of Glasgow. Her principle dimensions were : LOA - 650.4 ft., Beam - 72.2 ft. had a GRT of 19,524. She was launched on February 21, 1905 and made her maiden voyage from Liverpool to New York on December 2 of the same year. In August 1914, Carmania was requisitioned as an armed merchant cruiser where she sank Hamburg Sud Amerika's Cap Trafalgar (disguised as Carmania herself) off Trinidad in September 1914. Carmania was returned to Cunard's Liverpool-New York service on November 1916 and remained in Cunard's service until 1931. Her final sailing was from London to New York in July 1931. She was then laid up off Sheerness and went to the shipbreakers in 1932.