The Garmer was the first and most unusual of the ten Swedish 3rd-class armoured gunboats built between 1865 and 1875. Designed by Johan D'Ailly, she was 93 feet in length and had a beam measuring 22 feet. Heavily armoured with a Finspong muzzle loader and with the ability to semi-submerse, she was built both for defending the Baltic Coast and for helping the Swedish army hold internal fortification lines. Launched by the Motala works at Norrkoping in 1867 the Garmer was, unfortunately, not a success in service. Much of her career was spent on Lake Vattern as a flank support gunboat for the fortress of Karlsborg, until finally, in 1893 she was sold out of service for conversion to a merchant vessel.