J. Priestman & Co. of Sunderland originally built the Newton Hall, a typical steam 'tramp', as the Drumgeith for R. A. & J.H. Mudie of Dundee in 1905. Weighing 3,930 tons gross and measuring 355 feet in length with a 48 foot breadth, her single screw, driven by a triple-expansion steam engine gave her a service speed of 12.5 knots. Over her long life she had no less than eight names and she sailed under her final name, Tien Ping, for six years up until her breaking in 1954.