This desk follows George Smith's design of a similar pedestal desk with four lion-headed truss supports to each side (G. Smith, Household Furniture and Interior Decoration, London, 1804, pl. 86).
The recent discovery of Thomas Willson's trade label tell us that Thomas and his wife, Mary Willson established a furniture broking firm in 1818 at 68 Great Queen Street. Furthermore, it appears that Thomas Willson was both cabinet-maker and dealer. The firm's stamped furniture consists of second-hand pieces which were simply retailed, and items made in their own workshop (C. Gilbert, Pictorial Dictionary of Marked London Furniture, 1700-1840, Leeds, 1996, p. 56, figs. 989-1006). Between 1830-37, after the death of Thomas Willson, the business was continued by Mary Willson and Son; after 1838 the business carried on under Matthew Willson.