Designed in the early 19th Century Grecian style, the tiered acanthus-wrapped bowl for the branches recalls the Athenian Choragic Temple of Lysicrates, also known as the 'Lanthorn of Demosthenes', while the base of the palm-wrapped stem is guarded by adorsed eagles, recalling Zeus god of the element of fire, in the manner of an antique candelabra.
The most likely supplied of this chandelier is William Collins of 227, The Strand (fl.1808-52). He is best known for his work at Northumberland House for the Duke of Northumberland, a commission which spanned seventeen years. He is also known to have supplied fittings for Bath House, Piccadilly, and a pair of torchères from there, now at the Bowes Museum, are signed and dated 1823.
Four lacquered bronze vase ornaments, formed from four magnificent chandeliers, supplied by Collins, and manufactured by Messrs Johnston Brookes and Co. of 32 New Street Square for Northumberland House in 1823, were sold by the Duke of Northumberland in these Rooms 17 November 1988, lots 103 and 104.
A chandelier from the Ballroom of Dromana, Co. Waterford, Ireland has similar acanthus tiers and was sold anonymously in these Rooms, 7 July 1988, lot 39.