This specialized table intended for after-dinner libations first appears in this form in the late 18th century. Its removable center has a molded lip which may have been mounted with a metal rod revolving coasters. Sometimes this form of table will have a cenral bag to contain biscuits. This form continued to be produced well into the nineteenth century. J.C. Loudon writes in his Encyclopeadiaf 1833: 'It is chiefly used by gentlemen after the ladies have retired to the drawing room. The table is then placed in front of the fire, with its convex side outwards, and the guests sit round that side, with their feet to the fire' (see G. Wills, English Furniture 1760-1900, New York, 1971, p. 206, fig.165).