The presentation inscription reads:
To Thomas Fowell Buxton Esqr.
During twenty years the faithful and liberal MEMBER FOR WEYMOUTH AND
MELCOMBE REGIS the strenuous advocate of the enslaved, the imprisoned and the
Distressed in every region of the world whose labours in the cause of Universal Humanity
Have been ardent, unwearied and eminently successful
Who, Amidst the claims of injured myriads studiously attended to the local interests of the
Borough he represented
This piece of Plate is Presented as a token of their admiration and a Tribute of their Gratitude
By his steady supporter and attached friends, the liberal Electors of Weymouth
One coat-of-arms is that of Buxton, the other is that of the United towns of Weymouth and Melcombe-Regis
As the leader of the Anti-Slavery party in Parliament, Thomas Fowell Buxton played a vital role in the passage of the 1834 act which resulted in the emancipation of nearly three-quarters of a million slaves within the British dominion. Buxton's early career as a reformer focused on the appalling conditions of Spitalfields weavers, and later, prison reform. In 1818 he was returned to Parliament and by 1823 founded the British and Foreign Anti-Slavery Society with William Wilberforce. He eventually succeeded Wilberforce to champion the cause. In recognition of Buxton's efforts, a baronetcy was conferred upon him in 1840, and a statue by Frederick Thrupp was erected in Westminster Abbey. Buxton's contributions were recognized by his constituents; this silver candelabrum was presented to him upon his retirement from Parliament in 1837, noted in R. H. Mottram, Buxton The Liberator, p. 116.