The original of circa 1639, oil on panel, 57 x 64 cm, is in the Uffizi, Florence (J. Bruyn et. al., A Corpus of Rembrandt Paintings, 1989, III, no.B11, pp.506-513, ill.); it has been cut down at the sides and the top, leaving only the f of the signature. Both the attribution and the identification of the sitter as Rembrandt have been doubted. Numerous copies are known; C. Wright, Rembrandt: Self-Portraits, 1982, p.40, no.14, lists at least five.
The prototype belongs to the Gallery of Artist's Self-Portraits, founded in 1664 by Cardinal Leopoldo de' Medici. When Leopoldo died in 1675, he had collected over 80 self-portraits, most of which had been commissioned directly from the artists. After 1675 Grand Duke Cosimo III continued to expand the collection which was incorporated into the Uffizi in 1681 (see W.Prinz, Die Sammlung der Selbstbildnisse in den Uffizien, 1971, pp.33 ff.).