The family of Clifton took its name from the village of Clifton, near Nottingham, where the family had settled after the Norman Conquest. According to Thoroton, the historian of Nottinghamshire, the family acquired the manors of Clifton and Wilford in the latter part of the reign of King Henry III.
Henry Robert Markham (1832-1896) assumed the surname and arms of Clifton in lieu of Markham by Royal Licence in August 1869, having inherited Clifton Hall from his cousin Sir Robert Clifton, 9th Bt., Member of Parliament for Nottingham (1861-6; 1868-9), who had died without children in March that year. His wife Elizabeth was the daughter of Rev. William MacBean, Rector of St. Peter Tavy, Devon. On his death Clifton Hall and his estates devolved to his second cousin Sir Hervey Bruce, 4th Bt., of Downhill, County Londonderry.
Alfred De Prades specialised in sporting and military pictures and exhibited at the Royal Academy, the Society of Artists, and the British Institution.