This fine strong-box, parquetried in rose-flowered mosaics of richly figured kingwood and wrapped by lily-flowered brass, is likely to have been acquired by Sir Richard Myddelton, 3rd Bt (d.1716) around the time of his marriage in 1686 to Frances Whitmore. It relates to one supplied in 1688 by the St. Martin's Lane court cabinet-maker Gerret Jensen (d.1715) to Colonel James Grahme, which is now at Levens Hall, Cumbria (A. Bowett, English Furniture 1660-1714, Woodbridge, 2002, p.6l:29). Around 1670 Jensen also supplied the 1st Duke of Richmond with a 'strong box' (G.Beard and C. Gilbert, Dictionary of English Furniture Makers, Leeds, 1986, p.486). Similar strong boxes veneered with kingwood or 'prince's wood' were supplied for the Duke of Lauderdale at Ham House, Surrey and appear in the inventories of 1677 and 1683. The 1683 inventory of the Duchess's Bedchamber lists 'Two Strong boxes & one box wth an extraordinary Lock; Three frames to the boxes'. (Furniture History Society Journal, 1980, fig.68).