Murshidabad and Berhampur were the main centres of export ivory caring in Bengal province. The tradition of ivory carving was probably established under the patronage of the Mughal Governor of Bengal, during the early years of the 18th Century, when Murshidabad was the political and cultural hub. By 1811 the region was known for its 'inimtimabe ivory work' (see Amin Jaffer, page 238). Berhampur, established as a barrack town, became the primary centre of the craft during the early 19th Century, as more European travellers passed through to the Ganges. Many tourists commented on the quality of ivory toys, chessman, boxes and beautiful objects for sale.
See Amin Jaffer Furniture From British India and Ceylon, V&A Publications 2001, page 238-239.