The arms are those of Jan Albert Sichterman (1692-1764), who was Director of the V.O.C. (Dutch East India Comapny) in Bengal from 1734-1744. He returned to his house in Groningen in 1745 with numerous services along with other works of art from the Orient. There are four known varieties of this service. See C.J.A. Jörg & J. van Campen, Chinese Ceramics in the Collection of the Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam, 1997, p. 306, pl. 359, and D.S. Ayers & J. Ayers, China for the West, 1978, vol.2, p. 401, pl. 399.