An Art Nouveau Chimera Brooch by Wise
Of circular outline, the sculpted chimera mythical beast entwined within stylised leaves, circa 1895, with French assay and maker's mark, with green leather fitted case, 3.8 cm diameter
With maker's mark for Louis Wise, registered on 1st September 1890
According to Vever, this piece is one of the gold chimera brooches which were first introduced by the Parisian firm Plisson & Hart.
This particular piece is featured in:
Koch,M. The Belle Epoque of French Jewellery 1850 - 1910, Thomas Heneage & Co. Ltd., London, 1991, p. 105