THE DODGE COLLECTION
This spectacular carpet, specially ordered by Joseph Duveen through the décorateur L. Alavoine, was part of the celebrated collection assembled by Mrs. Horace E. Dodge (née Anna Thompson, 1871-1970). A leading patron and benefactor of cultural life in Detroit until her death in 1970, she displayed an intense interest for 18th century French art, which was translated not only to her collection of fine and decorative arts but also to her home, Rose Terrace, which was modelled after the Petit Trianon at Versailles. Mrs. Dodge's exquisite taste paralleled her great generosity to her adopted city. The furnishings of the Music Room from Rose Terrace today form the core of the great decorative arts collection at the Detroit Institute of Arts.
Many of Mrs. Dodge's furniture and objects were made for various royal palaces of Europe. The masterpieces of French cabinet-making included such objects as the Carlin jewel coffer that belonged to Maria Feodorovna, Empress of Russia, a small table by David Roentgen, and a Riesener commode that was supplied to Madame Elizabeth de France for the Château de Fontainebleau.
Her selection of the best that the 1930s art market could provide in 18th century art was facilitated by the help of the renowned art dealer Joseph Duveen. Having worked with numerous other great American collectors, Duveen was very interested in forming a relationship with one of the wealthiest widows in America. He played an important role in the formation of Rose Terrace and was instrumental in the acquisition of the most important purchases of his ambitious client. After Mrs. Dodge's death in 1970, the most valueable contents of the house other than that of the Music Room, were sold at Christie's, London, 26 June 1971.