With its intricate marquetry and japanned decoration enriched with pietre dure plaques, this impressive Kunstkabinet is closely related to a Schreibschrank at Schloss Ambras, near Innsbruck, bearing the coat-of-arms of the Fürstbischof von Brixen, Kaspar Ignaz Graf Künigl (d. 1747), who made important purchases for his Hofburg around 1712.
It has been suggested that the Brixen Schrank might have been made locally, but the existence of further, equally grand and richly-decorated examples, which do not bear his arms, indicates that these were both made in an important Austrian cabinet-making centre (M. Frenzel, Möbel, Kunsthistorisches Museum Wien, Sammlungen Schloss Ambras, Innsbruck, 1987, cat. no. 23).
We are grateful to Dr. Reinier Baarsen for his help in preparing this catalogue entry.