This chimneypiece was almost certainly carved by the emigré Mason Daniel Harvey (Hervé) (d.1737). The only specialist carver among the five craftsmen recorded in the Wentworth accounts (Brit. Lib. (Wentworth) Strafford Add. Mss. 22239 F 128), Harvey was employed at Wentworth as early as 1720 when he was required to supply '4 capitals after ye Corinthian order'. Born in France, Harvey had already worked for the architect James Gibbs at the Octagon House, Twickenham, interestingly alongside the joiner Charles Griffiths, who was later responsible for the 'wainscott [of] The Gallery at Stainborough (Wentworth Castle) as Desined by Mr Gibbs'.
A closely related chimneypiece was supplied to James Tyrrell for the saloon at Shotover Park, Oxfordshire, which was completed circa 1718 (illustrated in J. Lees-Milne, op. cit., p. 257, fig. 415).