This form of table was invented by Robert Jupe, upholder of 47 Welbeck Street, Cavendish Square, who applied for a patent for a circular extending dining table with a segmented top (No. 6788) in March of 1835. The description for it stated: "An improved expanding table so constructed that the sections composing its surface may be caused to diverge from a common centre and that the spaces caused thereby may be filled up by inserting leaves or filling pieces. The table, when expanded, forms usually a round: but it may be arranged to form an oval or oblong." The first examples of this type of table were produced between 1835 and 1840 by John Johnstone of New Bond Street. After 1842 the firm changed its name to Johnstone & Jeanes, the makers of the present table. Several similar examples are reproduced in C. Gilbert, Pictorial Dictionary of Marked London Furniture 1700-1840, Leeds, 1996, pp. 283-286.
Whilst the majority of these tables are supported on a singular column the current table differs in design, also having the capability to extend in the more traditional fashion, hence the four legs. This added versatility allows the user to form an oblong table as Robert Jupe noted in his patent description above. Another circular example stamped by Johnston, Jupe & Co. with its original leaf-cabinet was also sold in these Rooms, 17 October, 1997, lot 91.