This Gothic doorway was designed by Pugin for the Lower Corridor in the Family Wing circa 1845-50. Executed by J.G. Crace and wiith metalwork by Hardman's of Birmingham, this design of door is clearly visible in the Hon. Sarah Wombwell's watercolour (lot 117) of the Lower Corridor. The Lower Corridor originally had five doors - one at each end, one into the Dining Room and two into smaller rooms, including a bedroom, which now form the Library. The current Library was created from the two smaller rooms by Richard Myddelton (d.1913) in the 1880's. With the installation of the new antiquarian bookcases, partially re-using panelling from Gwaenynog which the Myddelton's sold in 1870, one of the doorways became redundant and was removed into storage in the stables, where it has remained.