This antiquarian commode, richly carved in the Elizabethan manner, may also have been commissioned in the 1840s for Chirk's Red Drawing Room by Colonel Robert Myddelton Biddulph, and supplied en suite with the room's central 'loo' table and sofa-table (Lots 150 and 158). It might have stood against the North wall facing the Gallery.
This style of ancient furniture was traded by various London dealers such as Horatio Rodd, who was established in Long Acre during most of the first half of the l9th century (C. Tracy, Continental Church Furniture, Woodbridge 2001, pp.62-64)
In the undated 1870's 'Inventory of the Household Goods and Furniture etc. etc. at Chirk Castle', this is probably the 'Carved oak sidebaord' listed in the State Dining Room.