The marble-topped pedestal sideboard, with acanthus-wrapped cornice, combines antiquarian George II Palladian ornament with the early 19th Century antique manner, illustrated in Rudolph Ackermann's Repository of Arts, Literature, Fashion, Etc. 1824; and Henry Whitaker's The Practical Cabinet-Maker and Upholsterer's Treasury of Designs, 1825. It is likely to have been commissioned for the Great Dining Room at Wimpole, Cambridgeshire in the 1840s by Charles Yorke, 4th Earl of Hardwicke (d. 1873), who was Lord-in-Waiting to Queen Victoria and entertained the Queen and Prince Albert, at Wimpole in 1843. It was designed to harmonise with the plasterwork introduced at this period by the Cambridge firm of Rattee and Kent to the designs of the architect Henry Edward Kendall, who had previously worked with the architects Thomas Leverton and Nash. Its trusses correspond to those of sideboard tables designed in the 1740s by the architect Henry Flitcroft (d. 1769) while the garlanded heads correspond to those of a Flitcroft chimney-piece (C. Hussey, 'Wimpole Hall, Cambridgeshire, II' Country Life, 7 December 1967, pp. 1466-1471, figs. 2 and 6,) The sideboard is likely to have been flanked by a pair of sideboard pedestals, one of which is illustrated C. Hussey, op. cit., fig. 4.