Eighteenth century patterns for related "Celleret Sideboards" with elegant taper-hermed legs were published in 1788 in both The Cabinet-Maker's London Book of Prices; and Messrs. A. Hepplewhite & Co., The Cabinet-Maker and Upholsterer's Guide. Amongst the leading manufacturers of such sideboards was the Gillow firm of Lancaster and Oxford Street, London, and their 1799 pattern for a related herm-legged sideboard also features string-inlay creating trompe l'oeil flutes and 'celleret' drawers for bottles embellished with hollow-cornered tablets (L. Boynton, Gillow Furniture Designs, Royston, 1995, fig 98). The sideboard bears the label of the Manchester firm of S.J. Waring and Sons following the establishment of Waring's Antique Galleries and Waring's Modern Galleries in 1902 near Gillow in Oxford Street. Waring's Antiques were the subject of articles in The Connoisseur in December 1902, as well as in February and May 1905, the year they received the commission to fit out Queen Mary's apartments on H.M.S. Renown in 1905.