AN ELEGANT ART DECO SAPPHIRE, EMERALD AND DIAMOND DOUBLE PENDANT, PICQ
Designed as two single-cut diamond drop-shaped pendants, each centered by a marquise-cut sapphire and cushion-shaped emerald floret, with diamond collet accents, suspended by articulated lines of old mine-cut diamonds and circular-cut sapphires and emeralds from a diamond, sapphire and emerald bail of similar design, mounted in platinum and gold, with French hallmarks, in a leather fitted case, circa 1925, with a platinum oval link chain--15 ins. long
With maker's mark for Picq, No. 1244
The first quarter of the twentieth century was one of the most important periods for the jewelry historian. The center of the jewelry world at that time was Paris with legendary names such as Cartier, Van Cleef & Arpels and Boucheron taking the world by storm.
In the case of Cartier, production was so intense that occasionally they needed outside workshops to finish an object with specialized techniques such as enameling or to actually manufacture an entire piece. The workshop of Picq; based in the rue du Quatre Septembre, was one of Cartier's favorites.
It is a great sadness that firms such as Picq are no longer in existance. The caliber of their work as illustrated in this exquisite pendant, is a quintessential reflection of the astonishing workmanship of this electrifying era.