Like many diamond companies in New York City founded in the nineteenth century, the firm of Eichberg & Company began in an inauspicious way. In 1860, Samuel Eichberg entered the jewelry business as a partner in Kahn, Limburger & Company. Five years later, he withdrew, forming a new concern with two associates, Simon Sichel and Fred L. Martin, specializing in the importation of watches. It was not until 1872 while inadvertently helping out an English dealer whose inventory of diamonds had been stolen, that he entered the diamond business. After the cache was discovered in New York, Eichberg helped to dispose of the goods. This initial foray into the diamond trade led to other shipments of diamonds to him, resulting in this part of the business becoming larger than watches.
When Eichberg died in 1901, his nephew, Samuel Stern, took over the watch trade while his son, Benjamin, assumed control of the diamond firm along with his two partners, operating under the name of Eichberg & Company. In 1914, they started a diamond cutting business. Originally located in the Maiden Lane district, Eichberg & Company moved to 511 Fifth Avenue in 1924, later to 1776 Broadway at 57th Street and, finally, to 608 Fifth Avenue. The last recording of the firm appeared in the 1966 New York City telephone directory where they were listed as "Wholesale Diamond Merch. Inc."