One of the most innovative clockmakers of his time, Jean-Simon Bourdier became a maître horloger in Paris on 22 September 1787. He is recorded as working in the Rue des Prêcheurs in 1787, Quai de l'Horloge du Palais circa 1790, Rue Mazarine in 1801, Rue Saint-Saveur in 1812 and Rue Saint-Denis in 1830. He gained a silver medal in the 1806 and 1879 produits de l'industrie exhibitions.
He is known to have worked with the ébénistes Lieutaud and Riesener as well as the bronziers Galle, Thommi and Remond. His dials were painted by the émailleurs Dubuisson and Coteau. His clocks were also sold by the dealers Daguerre and Lignereux and Juilliot.
This regulator is the antithesis to Bourdier's other piece in this sale, Lot 122, which reflects the most opulent fashion of its period in one bold statement. The present clock is also making a statement and too reflects the epitome of its period in the finest neo-classical taste. Its exquisite proportions and innocent dial conceal a highly complicated movement made virtually in miniature and to the very highest standards.