Francis Derwent Wood (d.1926) was born in Cumbria but educated in Switzerland and Germany, studying sculpture at Karlsruhe. Returning to Britain in 1889, he entered the Royal College of Arts under the tutelage of Lanteri, worked with Thomas Brock and assisted Alphonse Legros at the Slade School of Art. In 1897 Wood was appointed modelling master at the Glasgow School of Art and two years later won a competition for decorative sculpture at the Glasgow Art Gallery. His work consists of architectural, memorial and ideal sculpture, his best-known piece being being the monument to the Machine Gun Corps at Hyde Park Corner.
British Sculpture in the Twentieth Century, Whitechapel Art Gallery, Sandy Narne and Nicholas Serota, 1981, pp.44-45 and p.263.
At the joint retrospective exhibition at the Royal Academy on Derwent Wood and Thornycroft in the Winter of 1927 No.145 is recorded as Boy Spearing Fish-statuette, bronze: sketch for a fountain.