The specific heart and cross symbols on the triangular motifs above the coat-of-arms identifies this particular piece as belonging to Prince George William Frederick Charles, Duke of Cambridge (1819-1904). It was likely made at the time of his appointment as Knight of the Garter on 15 August 1835 by King William IV.
Prince George was born in Hanover on 26 March 1819, the only son of Prince Adolphus, Duke of Cambridge and his wife, the former Princess Augusta of Hesse-Cassel. After his education in Hanover, following in his father's footsteps, Prince George took up a career in the military. He served as commander-in-chief of the British army from 1856 to 1895. He is commemorated by an equestrian statue standing outside the door of the War Office on Whitehall in London.