This 'Prince of Wales' pedestal-candelabrum (lacking its upper section) is designed in the manner of the famed set of ten torcheres supplied by Coade & Sealy for the Carlton House conservatory of George, Prince of Wales, later George IV. Its buttressed plinth, flowered with rose quatrefoils, reflect a mediaeval gothic style that harmonised with the conservatory's rose-flowered ceiling, which was designed around 1807 under the direction of the architect Thomas Hopper (d.1856) and derived from an illustration of the Henry VII Chapel at Westminster Abbey in John Dart's Westmonasterium, 1723.
They were illustrated in situ in Carlton House in W. Pyne's, Royal Residences, 1819. In 1827 they were sent to Messrs Morel and Seddon, and were later incorporated in George IV's furnishings of Windsor Castle and feature in drawings for Room 240 made by A. C. Pugin (H. Roberts, For the King's Pleasure: The Furnishing and Decoration of George IV's Apartments at Windsor Castle, London, 2001, p. 340, figs. 430, 424, 426).
Six pedestals, lacking lamps and plinths, were offered at Christie's London, 19 November 1970, lot 15, and one from these was sold anonymously Christie's, London, 13 April 1989, lot 19. One pedestal is now in the Victoria & Albert Museum.