This Tyntesfield grate was commissioned by Antony Gibbs (d.1907) for the Drawing Room at Tyntesfield, Somerset, and is likely to have been introduced in the 1850s under the direction of Messrs Crace and supplied by the Birmingham manufacturers Hardman & Co., who collaborated on the 1851 Exhibitions Medieval Court with A.W.N.Pugin (d.1852). It was illustrated in situ in an 1870s photograph of the room. (J.Miller, Fertile Fortune: The Story of Tyntesfield, London, 2003, p.75)
In 1846 there is reference, in the Tyntesfield archive, to a Gothic design marble chimneypiece being built by Brown & Co for £47, although there is no reference to where in the house this chimney was erected, it may also be that this grate was part of the same order.
Antony Gibbs then made major changes to Tyntesfield between 1875 and 1890s overseen by the architect Henry Woodyer. The Gothic fireplace and firegrate were removed around 1880 and replaced with an Italian marble chimneypiece in the Renaissance revival style, accompanied by a pair of Italian bronze andirons, also in in the late 15th century style, that remain in situ today.