No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 17.5% will be added to the buyer's premium which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis
The following seven lots (426-432) comprise an outstanding collection of English lead statuary, mostly attributed to the most celebrated exponents of the medium in the eighteenth century, namely the workshops or 'yards' of the van Nost's and the Cheere's.
The core of this private collection are the eighteenth century pieces (lot numbers 426-429, 431-432), the provenance to these pieces is almost certainly as follows:
From the early 18th century with John Shepherd and his heirs at Campsea Ashe High House, Suffolk. (see engraving above)
From about 1880 with the Earls of Guildford, Glemham Hall, Suffolk, subsequently with Lady North at Glemham Hall.
From about 1914 with the Cobbold family at Glemham Hall.
Later with Philip Cobbold at Tattingstone Place, Suffolk, (Thomas White architect, built 1726-40).
From 1947 with the Budd family at Tattingstone Place and from 1966 with the present owner at the same.
Campsea Ashe (see Country Life volume XVIII, p.54) is some five miles from Glemham Hall (see Country Life volume XXVII, p.18), Tattingstone Place is to the south of Ipswich.